You don’t need to embark on a heroic trip to experience the benefits of shrooms. Microdosing is an emerging natural wellness solution that reportedly changes lives and addresses needs like no prescription medication can. But to what extent are these claims true, and how can you take advantage of them?
There are many definitions of microdosing, but in general, the practice involves using small doses – small enough to avoid intoxication or significant changes in consciousness – to enhance cognitive function, boost energy levels, and treat mental health concerns. Below, we’ll dive into how you can microdose shrooms effectively and use their powerful properties to enhance your life.
Why Microdose Shrooms? A Look at the Benefits
Using shrooms to treat common ailments is nothing new – medicinal mushrooms have been used by indigenous peoples for centuries.
But the past century has not been kind to shrooms; increased restrictions and crack-downs on drug use during the 1970s and on made it all but impossible for researchers to study compounds like psilocybin and muscimol effectively. But today, new research suggests that mushrooms may be more therapeutic and beneficial than they’re given credit for.
For instance, one recent study involving 953 psilocybin microdosers compared with 180 control participants found small to medium improvements in mood and mental health after 30 days of treatment.
While there’s still much to learn about how shroom microdoses work and how they impact our minds, we do know that most users report the following benefits:
- Mood: Like medications often used to treat depression and anxiety, like serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), mushroom compounds like psilocybin and muscimol enter the brain via the same receptors that serotonin, GABA, and other mood-related neurotransmitters use. They can have both an excitatory and depressive impact on the brain and nervous system, leading to feelings of euphoria and satisfaction.
- Mental Health: Because of their mood-boosting effects, medicinal mushrooms are often used to treat chronic mental health concerns. In some cases, shrooms can more effectively treat symptoms than traditional options, especially for those who haven’t seen success with other medications. In fact, mushroom microdoses have been shown to impact neuron behavior within just 30 minutes.
- Physical Energy: Whether by stimulating creativity, improving mood and sleep, or simply making it easier to get through the day, mushrooms can give you more energy to enjoy life.
- Pain Management: While there’s not much research surrounding mushroom use for pain management, anecdotal evidence suggests that microdosing can, at least partially, help treat chronic pain. The effects of shroom microdoses, like lowered stress levels and better moods, may indirectly make it easier to manage pain.
How to Microdose Shrooms Properly
Want to experience the benefits of shroom microdosing yourself? Follow these tips to microdose the right way.
- Choose Your Shroom: Not all shrooms are psychedelic. If a trippy experience is what you want, look for mushrooms like A. muscaria, which contain active compounds such as muscimol and ibotenic acid. If not, opt for options like Lion’s mane, reishi, cordyceps, and other medicinal mushrooms.
- Choose Your Dose: Depending on the product you use, you may or may not have to determine an appropriate microdose on your own. A good rule of thumb is to aim for around one-tenth to one-twentieth of a standard dose.
- Consider Your Needs: Are you looking for long-lasting relief or something that sticks around for a few hours? Do you want to experience psychedelic effects or not? Think about your goals to choose between product options like mushroom tinctures, whole mushrooms, mushroom gummies, etc.
- Start Small: With a product and dose ready to go, it’s time to start experimenting! Start out with smaller doses and see how you respond to them before you get too ambitious.
- Note Your Experiences: Pay attention to how your product makes you feel after about 30-60 minutes. It may help to keep a journal, whether on paper or on your phone, where you list the benefits and side effects you experience at each dose.
- Develop a Routine: Once you have a good idea of how your body reacts to certain doses, you can create a daily or regular routine that involves strategic microdoses. You may be more likely to experience benefits overall if you’re consistent with your usage.
Remember, the point of a microdose is to experience mental and physical benefits without slipping into the “intoxicated” side of the coin. If you start to notice unwanted effects, it may be time to dial back.
Which shrooms are best for microdosing?
You’re likely familiar with magic mushrooms, which contain the psychedelic compound psilocybin, but there are many other legal mushrooms you can use to experience similar effects.
As discussed, A. muscaria is a popular option thanks to its profile of mind-altering chemicals. But it’s not the only shroom worth microdosing, especially if you’d prefer not to embark on regular mini-trips.
Other medicinal mushrooms are packed with antioxidants, immune-boosting compounds, and vital nutrients that help your body perform at its best. Some other options to consider include:
- Lion’s mane
- Turkey tail
Aim for shrooms that target your needs for the best results.
What are the side effects?
Microdose side effects will depend on the type of mushroom you’ve consumed as well as the product type. For instance, you’re more likely to experience nausea when consuming high doses of a psychedelic mushroom product than low doses of another shroom.
Fortunately, since microdosing involves such small amounts of active compounds, side effects aren’t that common or severe. Some examples to watch for include:
- Impaired cognitive function (focus, attention, etc.)
- Physiological symptoms (digestive issues, low appetite, tingling sensations, etc.)
- Headaches or migraines
- Low energy levels
- Changes in mood (sadness, apathy, etc.)
- Feeling disconnected from your body (dissociation)
If you notice any side effects, try lowering your dose or taking a few days off to give your body a chance to reset.
How Much is a Microdose of Shrooms? Dosage Guide
Since a microdose of any mushroom usually falls between one-tenth to one-twentieth of a recreational dose, you may need to do some math to find your ideal starting point. Doses can also vary depending on whether you’re using dried or fresh mushrooms.
We recommend opting for dried shrooms or other products with shrooms integrated into them; these are usually safer than raw mushrooms and give you more control over your dose.
The chart below is a general guide you can use to find your perfect microdose.
Some products are dosed via individual gummies or servings. Package instructions may provide dosage instructions to help you out. If not, try to determine how much active ingredient is in each serving to learn how much to consume. There are 1000 mg in a single gram; if you discover there are 200 mg of muscimol in a gummy, for instance, you know you’re consuming 0.2 grams.
Some options are even designed to be microdose friendly, like these Diamond Shruumz Mushroom Microdose Gummies.
Shrooms Microdose Tips to Stay Safe
Since microdosing is a fairly new and not entirely understood treatment option, it’s up to you to make sure you do it safely. Knowing your stuff and understanding your risk level can help you make informed decisions about how to use your product.
Know Your Dose & Stick to It
Once you find an ideal dose, stick to it. You might experience shifts in your tolerance over time, but it’s likely best to take a tolerance break than ramp up your dose to extreme amounts. It is a microdose, after all!
Check With a Doctor
It’s always a good idea to check in with your doctor before starting any medicinal mushroom, CBD, or other natural wellness product.
Some shrooms may interact with prescription medications, causing unintended and potentially dangerous side effects. In other cases, medical conditions or individual health concerns may impact your shroom experience.
We know it can be awkward to bring up topics like these, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Your doctor is there to help, not to judge!
Only Consume Products You Trust
Unfortunately, shroom products are not regulated by the FDA. Even legal mushrooms can be considered supplements, which the FDA does not police. As a result, it’s key to only buy and use products from reputable sellers you know and trust.
At The Green Dragon CBD, we work closely with brands we believe in to offer quality products at the best prices. Shop any of our premium mushroom products to find the best fit for you, or contact us for a free consultation. We care about informing our customers and helping them make the best choices for their needs. Good luck, and happy shopping!